- Forging Materials
- Forged Shapes
- Industries We Serve
- About Us
- Sales Locations
316 Stainless Steel Forging
316L (low carbon version) of 316 - UNS S31600/S31603
Anderson Shumaker produces 316 stainless steel open die forgings to meet exacting specifications. 316 stainless steel is the second most common stainless steel grade (after 304 stainless steel) and is commonly used in food and surgical stainless steel applications. The addition of molybdenum prevents specific forms of corrosion. By keeping the carbon below 0.03% max in this austenitic alloy has shown to minimize carbide precipitation during welding. Decreasing the sulfur in this grade will enhance its ability for electro-polishing. 316 SS is also known as marine grade stainless steel due to its increased resistance to chloride corrosion in comparison to 304 SS.
316L stainless steel is an extra low carbon grade of 316 stainless steel; generally used in stainless steel watches and marine applications.
Applications: 316 Stainless is widely used in manufacture of manways, pharmaceutical equipment, valve bodies, bleaching and dyeing equipment for the textile industry and the food industry. 316 Stainless is resistant to atmospheric corrosion, food products, sterilization solutions and many organic chemicals as well as a variety of inorganic chemicals.
|Carbon||max 0.03%||Manganese||max 2.00%|
|Phosphorus||max 0.045%||Sulfur||max 0.030%|
|Silicon||max 1.00%||Chromium||16.00 - 18.00%|
|Nickel||10.00 - 14.00%||Iron||Balance|
|Molybdenum||2.00 - 3.00 %|
The following table is for reference only, many factors can affect the corrosive resistance, a corrosion test for each application should be applied.
|Phosphoric Acid||Moderate||Acetic Acid||Good|
|Sodium Hydroxide||Moderate||Sea Water||Moderate|
|Salt Spray||Good||Nitric Acid||Good|
- Heat to 1850/2050 F (1010/1121c) and quench in water. Brinell hardness approximately 150.
- Cannot be hardened by heat treatment. Cold working this alloy increases its strength and hardness, although best corrosion resistance is in the annealed condition.
- When machining 316 stainless steel its chip characteristics will be tough and stringy, when machining the use of chip curlers and breakers should be considered. Since Austenetic grades work harden rapidly, heavy positive feeds should be considered. If machining a heavy amount of material, another anneal may prove beneficial. Check out our machining option for you project.
- AMS 5653, ASTM A182, ASTM A276, ASTM A314, ASTM A473, QQS763, ASME SA182, NL Shaffer #A-X010074, EN10204, DIN3.1B
- Shapes Manufactured:
- Flat bars, square bars, round bars, rings, hollows, discs, blocks and special shapes. Provide us your drawing to see how we can save you material & machining time.
The information in this data sheet is for information only and should not be used for engineering.
Contact one of our Sales Representatives today
to inquire about a quote from Anderson Shumaker
or call us today at 800-932-0357