- Forging Materials
- Forged Shapes
- Industries We Serve
- About Us
- Sales Locations
304 Stainless & 304L Stainless Forgings
Anderson Shumaker offers stainless steel 304 open die forging. Forged in house, stainless steel 304 can be forged into rings, bards, discs, custom shapes and more. Forging 304 stainless steel improves directional, impact and structural strength in addition to improved ductility and toughness. 304 and 304L (low carbon version) of 304 Stainless Steel is a low carbon austenitic alloy. By keeping the carbon at 0.03% max it minimizes carbide precipitation during welding. For more information, contact us or call us today to speak with a 304 stainless steel forging specialist.
Applications: 304 Stainless Steel is widely used in the manufacturing of shafts, valve bodies, valve trim and the food industry. 304 Stainless is resistant to atmospheric corrosion, food products, sterilization solutions and many organic chemicals as well as a variety of inorganic chemicals.
|Silicon||1.00%||Chromium||18.00 - 20.00%|
|Nickel||8.00 - 12.00%||Iron||64.90 - 70.90%|
Intergranular corrosion may be compromised if the material is heated between 800 degrees F (427 c) and 1650 F (899 C) or cooled slowly through that range.
The following table is for reference only, many factors can affect the corrosive resistance, a corrosion test for each application should be applied.
|Phosphoric Acid||Moderate||Acetic Acid||Moderate|
|Sodium Hydroxide||Moderate||Sea Water||Restricted|
|Salt Spray||Good||Nitric Acid||Good|
Typical Room Temperature Mechanical Properties 303/304L
|0.2% Yield Strength||Ultimate Tensile Strength||% Elongation in 2” (50.8mm)||% Reduction of Area||Brinell Hardness||Izod Impact Strength|
Forging & Heat Treatment for SS 304
- Heat to 1850/2050 F (1010/1021c) and quench in water. Brinell hardness approximately 150.
- Cannot be hardened by heat treatment. Cold working this alloy increases its strength and hardness although cold working may make it slightly magnetic.
- When machining 304 stainless its chip characteristics will be tough and stringy . 303 is the machining grade of 304.
- AMS 5647 ASTM A182 ASTM A276 ASTM A314 ASTM A473 QQS763 ASME SA182 EN10204 DIN3.1B
- Shapes Manufactured:
- Flat Bars, Square Bars, Round Bars, Rings, Hollows, Discs, Blocks and special Shapes. Send us a drawing to see how we can save you material and machining time!
The information in this data sheet is for information only and should not be used for engineering.
Contact one of our Sales Representatives today
to inquire about a quote from Anderson Shumaker
or call us today at 800-932-0357