- Forging Materials
- Forged Shapes
- Industries We Serve
- About Us
- Sales Locations
303 Stainless Steel UNS 30300 Forgings
303 Stainless Steel is the most machinable of the austenitic grades of stainless steel, which makes this material perfect for the open die forging process. With the addition of sulfur to this grade, the sulfur enhances the alloy 303's machinability which is ordinarily difficult to machine. We can forge and machine your 303 stainless steel into to flat, square and round bars, seamless rolled rings, hollows, discs, blocks, hubs, special shapes and more.
Forging Applications: Forged 303 stainless is widely used in manufacture of shafts, valve bodies, valve trim and food industry applications where 304 stainless would be normally used. 303 Stainless steel properties make it resistant to atmospheric corrosion, food products, sterilization solutions and many organic chemicals as well as a variety of inorganic chemicals.
Call Anderson Shumaker, the industry's best in stainless 303 forgings, today to speak with one of our forgings specialists!
|Silicon||1.00%||Chromium||17.00 - 19.00%|
|Nickel||8.00 - 10.00%||Iron||67.53 - 71.53%|
Corrosion Resistance for 303 Stainless
Intergranular corrosion may be compromised if the 303 stainless steel material is heated between 800 degrees F (427 c) and 1650 F (899 C) or cooled slowly through that range.
The following table is for reference only, many factors can affect the corrosive resistance. A corrosion test for each application should be applied.
|Phosphoric acid||Moderate||Acetic Acid||Moderate|
|Sodium Hydroxide||Moderate||Sea Water||Restricted|
|Salt Spray||Moderate||Nitric Acid||Good|
Typical Elevated Temperature Mechanical Properties
|Short Time Tensile Tests||Creep Tests|
|Test Temperature||0.2% Yield Strength||Ultimate Tensile Strength||% Elongation in 2” (50.8mm)||% Reduction in area||Stress in 1% Creep in 10,000 Hours|
Typical Room Temperature Mechanical Properties 303 Stainless
|0.2% Yield Strength||Ultimate Tensile Strength||% Elongation in 2” (50.8mm)||% Reduction of Area||Brinell Hardness||Impact Strength|
|35||241||90||621||50||55||160||80 ft-lb||70 ft-lb|
Heat Treatment for 303 SS
- Heat to 1850/1950 F (1010/1066c) and quench in water. Brinell hardness approximately 160.
- Cannot be hardened by heat treatment. Cold working this alloy increases its strength and hardness.
- 303 Stainless Steel machines easily with a brittle chip. Grinding and polishing are possible with 303 Stainless with satisfactory results. Our forging operation can increase the results for polishing this grade.
- AMS 5640 ASTM A473 ASTM A582 EN10204 DIN3.1B
- Shapes Manufactured:
- Flat Bars, Square Bars, Round Bars, Forged Rings, Hollows, Discs, Blocks and special Shapes. Send us a drawing to see how we can save you material and machining time!
The information in this data sheet is for information only and should not be used for engineering.
Contact one of our Sales Representatives today
to inquire about a quote from Anderson Shumaker
or call us today at 800-932-0357